Do You Have Bad Credit? Our New York Credit Repair Attorneys Can Help
Hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers have less-than-stellar credit scores. If you’re among them, you may have experienced difficulty buying a home, renting an apartment, getting an auto loan, or even getting a simple credit card. Having a poor credit score can affect numerous aspects of your life, leaving you and your family without the things you need for basic living.
A Word of Caution on Credit Repair Companies
If you’ve done any research about how to fix bad credit, you’ve likely run into several companies that promise to improve your credit score drastically in a relatively small amount of time. It is critical that you are cautious with these companies, since many of them are scams.
What to Watch For When Working With a New York Credit Repair Company
- You should be given a copy of the Consumer Credit File Rights under State and Federal Law
- You should be allowed to review a copy of the contract between you and the company before signing
- The contract should include the total cost of services, details about what services will be performed, and the date by which these services will be completed
- You should not be required to make a payment before services are performed
- The company should not make promises about how high they can raise your credit score, nor should they make promises to remove items on your credit report that are accurate
- You should not be asked to waive any rights under the Credit Repair Organizations Act (CROA)
What Can a Lawyer Do to Repair My Credit?
An attorney who is familiar with the state and federal laws that govern credit reporting can be highly valuable to your case. Your credit repair lawyer can review your credit report in detail and challenge inaccurately reported items. By calling out companies who report inaccurate information or who do not follow the law when reporting to credit bureaus, negative items may be able to be removed from your credit report, thus increasing your credit score.
While it is possible to learn how to repair credit on your own, it is only the concept that seems simple. The actual process of negotiating with lenders and collections agencies can be challenging, and by working with an attorney who understands how the process works, you can increase the chances that your credit report and subsequent score will be helped.
Contact the IM Law Group Today
At the IM Law Group, our knowledge of credit reporting laws and statutes can help you on your path to a better financial future. We’ll help you better understand how these laws can be used to eliminate inaccurate items from your credit report, and we’ll guide you step by step through the process of repairing your credit.
Don’t let a bad credit score keep you from living life to the fullest. Contact our experienced New York credit repair attorneys today to discuss your individual needs by calling (516) 344-7010.