Child Custody and Visitation
Compassionate Legal Representation for Sensitive New York Child Custody Issues
If you and your spouse or partner are considering separating, or you are already involved in the separation process, you are likely going to be facing many challenges ahead. One of the most significant matters when ending a marriage or a relationship where the couple has children together is the issue of child custody. Child custody issues tend to be extremely sensitive and emotional, and it is not always easy to know what path to take when the future and well-being of a child is at stake.
How Is Child Custody Determined in New York?
There are several factors that New York courts look at in order to determine child custody. Generally speaking, the court makes child custody decisions based on what is best for the child.
The court takes into consideration:
- The age of the parents
- The age of the child or children
- The availability of each parent
- How much income each parent draws
- Any special needs a child may have
- Whether there has been a history of domestic violence
- Whether there has been a history of alcohol or drug use
- Existing informal or written agreements regarding custody
- The mental fitness of each parent
- The home environment of each parent and its location
- The preferences of the child if he or she is old enough to make a request
- Who the primary caretaker of the child is
- Each parent’s willingness to encourage the child’s relationship with the other parent
- The parent’s behavior in court proceedings
There is no one particular formula that is used to determine child custody in New York. Each individual case is unique, and all factors must be considered by a family law judge before a court order is issued.
How Can an Attorney Help Me?
When you’re dealing with matters of child custody, it is critical that you have an advocate on your side who can help you present your case in the most compelling manner. An attorney will evaluate the matter at hand and help you determine what course of action you should take next.
Your lawyer will guide you step by step through the child custody proceedings, and will help you better know what to expect at each stage in the process. Your attorney can help you provide the court with the necessary documentation in order to help them reach a decision that is in the best interest for your child.
Contact the IM Law Group Today For a Consultation
At the IM Law Group, we understand how emotionally and financially challenging child custody matters can be. We are committed to handling each child custody case we work on with zeal and compassion, and will go the extra mile to help you obtain the most favorable result possible.
If you are involved in a divorce or separation and you have children with your spouse or partner, do not hesitate to contact an experienced New York child custody lawyer as quickly as possible to learn more about your rights and the child custody process.
Call today for a consultation to discuss your unique legal needs with one of our seasoned family lawyers at (516) 344-8010. We are available now to help you.